I have a Ph.D in Chemistry (yay me…). I spent 3 years making many previously undiscovered compounds and characterized them! What I created and the papers I published were no use to anyone as far as I knew at the time – but in the future if someone else who I will never know needs to create a chemical with specific properties, my papers are out there and will help. In the same way that my research depended on those who came before me – my research will help those who come after me. It was the purest form of research. There was no company sponsoring it, needing results to justify their investment. It was funded by a purpose and a desire to further knowledge – which is what I did………That mindset is how I approach blogging.
Community Blogging – why?
Why do people blog? There are many reasons…..and you know people who fit these categories:
- Egotistical desire to let everyone else know how awesome they are
- People who are insecure and need a voice……
- People who are naturally sharing individuals who truly care about increasing the communal knowledge
- People who are trying to get ahead and make themselves stand out in a tight job market
- People who are all of the above in some way shape or form depending on day/mood/alcohol or caffeine intake
This post is aimed at the staggering amount of Notes/Domino people who are doing really cool &^%$ every day and want to share but have way to many inhibitions to do so. “Noone cares”, “I can’t write”, “I would be wasting my time” – whatever!
Don’t be selfish – you learned from others after all….
Don’t be so selfish and keep everything to yourself………after all you are reading this and you know the benefit of learning from others – give something back once in a while. Call be a raving socialist but I believe that we as a whole community can be better as a whole when everyone shares their knowledge. You learned from others and took their ideas and modified them to make it your own………….
I think (as the title suggests) you need to understand is that it doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks about your blogging – it is all about what you think and more importantly about what you do to share it.
Even if it is as simple as – I came across this cool idea the other day but I don’t know what to do with it, people will read it, people will contribute, people will benefit and people will make you better.
Blogging is easy
WordPress is free – takes 5 minutes to set up
PlanetLotus.org – takes a few minutes and an email to get registered – if you need help buzz me – marky @ thiswebsite.com
To all those people who have thought about it and wondered who cares? Stop giving a crap about who cares and start sharing………
- Find a topic which interests YOU (for me jQuery and User Experience)
- Write about it (Just like I tell my kids – the more you write, the better writer you will be)
- Don’t stress – you are not going to get criticized about how you write
- Do it (as the slogan goes)
Why my blog?
My blog is purposefully not full of business speak – I can do business speak but I think it is harder to read as a community blog. I started this blog for two reasons:
- It forced me to learn XPages which is something I felt I needed to do to get ahead
- I wanted it to help me get ahead! and it worked! – not because it made me any smarter, but it made more people aware of my skillset.
I don’t care if people read the blog or not (liar) and I more importantly want to give back to a community which I have been taking from for over 10 years and anything I can do to help another developer is time well spent.
There is no bigger rush than knowing that something you wrote about helped someone else – try it, you’ll be surprised!
Don’t worry about what other people think……..
If you want a voice but don’t want to manage a blog, let me know and I will help you publish.
If you have a voice – use it.
Stop giving a &^%$ what people think about what you say – you’ll be surprised how appreciative they are that you took the time to do something for them !
Do it !